Oregon educators honored for their outstanding leadership and impact.
The Oregon Department of Education, in partnership with the Oregon Lottery, have announced Oregon’s 2022 Regional Teachers of the Year!
Oregon teachers bring their ingenuity, flexibility, encouragement, and expertise to classrooms every day in support of their students. During this global pandemic, teachers have overcome constant challenges requiring transitioning instructional models, developing new ways to create important student connections, learning new teaching platforms and so much more.
“Throughout this year of navigating countless challenges and demands, Oregon educators have consistently come through for Oregon’s students,” said Colt Gill, Director of the Oregon Department of Education. “It is with deep gratitude that we celebrate these 16 Regional Teachers of the Year from across the state!”
Oregon educators were identified through a regional application and selection process facilitated by local Education Service Districts. Applicants submitted testimonials and letters of support and were assessed on leadership, instructional expertise, commitment to equity, community involvement, understanding of educational issues, professional development, and vision by a diverse panel of regional representatives.
Each Regional Teacher of the Year will receive a $500 award from the Oregon Lottery and is automatically considered for the honor of 2022 Oregon Teacher of the Year which will be announced this fall.
“The Oregon Lottery is honored to be a part of this great program to recognize outstanding Oregon educators,” said Oregon Lottery Director Barry Pack. “Teachers are the foundation-builders for the future. Thanks to their teachers’ hard work, passion, and dedication, students across Oregon are prepared to realize their dreams.”
Congratulations to our 2022 Oregon Regional Teachers of the Year!
- Whitney Barnes, Vale Elementary School, Kindergarten, Vale School District
- Rachelle Bell, Takena-Central Elementary School, 3rd grade, Greater Albany Public Schools
- Wes Crawford, Sutherlin High School, Agricultural Science, Sutherlin School District
- Jim Donnelly, Hood River Valley High School, English Language Arts, Hood River School District
- Jandy Eskew, South Baker Intermediate School, 5th grade, Baker School District
- Jennifer Hampel, North Bend High School, Science, North Bend School District
- Kerryn Henderson, Parkrose High School, Biology, Parkrose School District
- Ricci Huling, Agnes Stewart Middle School, Math/Arts, Springfield School District
- Ronda Johnson, Nellie Muir Elementary School, 1st grade, Woodburn School District
- Lois MacMillan, Grants Pass High School, Social Studies, Grants Pass School District
- Jill Plant, Warm Springs K-8 Academy, Music, Jefferson County School District
- Carrie Sullivan, Dayville School, grades 3-5, Dayville School District
- Lori Therrien, Oak Hills Elementary School, Special Education, Beaverton School District
- Ethelyn Tumalad, Clackamas High School, English Language Arts, Clackamas School District
- Steve Wetherald, Bend Senior High School, Special Education, Bend-La Pine School District
- Carolyn Whitney, Frenchglen Elementary School, grades K-8, Frenchglen School District
Additional information on the program can be found on the Oregon Teacher of the Year website.
Read more Teacher of the Year stories, here.