Oregonians Affected by Wildfires: Apply for FEMA Assistance


Registration is open for those affected by wildfires in Clackamas, Douglas, Jackson, Klamath, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, and Marion counties. Register by visiting DisasterAssistance.gov, calling 800-621-3362 or using the FEMA app. 

Stay Informed 

Stay informed by calling 211 or visiting wildfire.oregon.gov. This Oregon Wildfire Resource website includes the latest information and resources available to those affected by wildfires. 

Be Safe 

If you are in an evacuation zone, heed warnings, and follow local official recommendations without delay. If you are in a safe place, you can help by staying home and off the road. 

Additional information on: 


▪ Registration is open for those affected by the wildfires in the eight designated counties. If you have phone or internet access, register by visiting disasterassistance.gov, calling 800-621-3362 or using the FEMA app. 

▪ The Major Disaster declaration for the State of Oregon triggered the release of federal funds for Individual Assistance for Clackamas, Douglas, Jackson, Klamath, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, and Marion Counties. 

▪ Do not wait for a fixed location to register for assistance. 

▪ Save your receipts and take photos before you begin the clean-up process. Documentation of losses will help FEMA process your claim. 

▪ Disaster assistance may include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster. 


▪ Stay informed by dialing 211 or 866-698-6155. You can also text your zip code to 898211 (TXT211). 

▪ For a list of temporary shelters, see the Red Cross Oregon website. 

▪ Visit ORVOAD.org to find out how to help Oregonians and donate to response organizations. 

▪ Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to discuss homeowner insurance policies and wildfire coverage. Visit Oregon Insurance Commission’s website for information on wildfire insurance resources. 


▪ Amid wildfire, smoke and erratic weather, the COVID-19 pandemic is still rampant. Face coverings are required in all parts of the state and Oregonians are reminded to maintain social distancing, and wash hands frequently. 

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7 counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to disasters. Call SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline at 800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to speak to a trained crisis counselor. 

Citizenship Status and Eligibility for Disaster Assistance FAQ

Q.  If I am an undocumented immigrant, am I eligible for assistance for needs related to the disaster?

A:        Yes, you may be eligible under many different programs run by voluntary agencies for various types of assistance. Among these are:

American Red Cross 866-438-4636 (English) 800-257-7575 (Spanish) Catholic Charities 888-744-7900 (English and Spanish) 

Q.  How does my citizenship status affect my eligibility for disaster assistance?

A:        You do NOT have to be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or Qualified Alien to receive assistance.

However, you must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or Qualified Alien for a cash award from FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program. Also, you must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or Qualified Alien to be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance. You may, however, apply on behalf of your U.S. citizen child, or another adult household member may qualify the household for assistance.

Even if you do not, or your family does not, qualify for FEMA cash assistance (Individuals and Households Program), please call FEMA at 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 (TTY for hearing/speech-impaired) for information and to be referred to other programs that can assist you regardless of your immigration status. 

Q. Will my registration information be shared with immigration or other law enforcement agencies?

A:        FEMA will not proactively provide applicant information to immigration or law enforcement organizations. However, in rare circumstances, based on a specific request, a FEMA applicant’s personal information may be shared within the Department of Homeland Security. The Department includes Federal Emergency Management Agency, Customs and Border Protection, Citizenship and Immigration Services, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Transportation Security Administration, United States Coast Guard, United States Secret Service and Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

Q.  If I am an undocumented immigrant, can I apply on behalf of my child who was born in the United States?

A:        Yes, you can apply on behalf of your minor child (under 18 years of age) for FEMA cash assistance (Individuals and Households Program Assistance) if you live together.

You will not have to provide any information on your immigration status or sign any documents regarding your status.

Q.  Do I need a Social Security number to register for FEMA cash assistance (Individual and Households Program Assistance)?

A:        If you are applying for disaster assistance with cash benefits, you should provide your Social Security number. If you are applying on your minor child’s behalf, you should provide his/her Social Security number. 

Q.  If I have a Social Security number, am I eligible for FEMA cash assistance (Individuals and Households Program) as a “Qualified Alien?”

A:        Not necessarily. Having a Social Security number does not automatically mean that you are a Qualified Alien. You may be lawfully present in the U.S. and have a Social Security number but not be a Qualified Alien.

Q.  What are the citizenship/immigration requirements to receive federal disaster assistance?

A:        You must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or a Qualified Alien in order to be eligible for FEMA cash assistance (Individuals and Households Program) and Disaster Unemployment Assistance.

  • A Qualified Alien includes anyone with lawful permanent residence (a “Green Card” holder).  Other Qualified Aliens include:
    • Refugees
    • Refugee status
    • Withholding of deportation
    •  Parole into the U. S. for at least one year
    • A Cuban-Haitian entrant
    • Certain aliens subjected to battery or extreme cruelty to them or a relative
    • Certain trafficking victims.
  • Applicants should consult an immigration expert concerning whether or not their immigration status falls within the Qualified Alien category. 
  • You will be asked to sign a Declaration and Release (FEMA Form 009-0-3) that you, or a member of your household, is a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or a Qualified Alien.   
  • If you cannot sign the Declaration and Release form, another adult household member who is eligible can sign it, and no information regarding your status will be gathered.  
  • After you register on behalf of a child or other person qualified for FEMA disaster assistance, FEMA may ask for supporting documents such as a birth certificate for a qualifying child and proof of residence, such as a mortgage statement or utility bill. 

About Author

The mission of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that, as a Nation, we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Comments are closed.