State Provides $8.5 Million for Rent Relief in Oregon Communities


If you’re at risk of homelessness, find out how to apply for rent relief

SALEM  – The economic fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic has left many Oregon families without resources to pay rent, buy food, make utility payments, and provide other necessities. Oregon Housing & Community Services (OHCS) has a COVID-19 Rent Relief Program that provides much-needed rent assistance for people who have experienced a loss of income and are at risk of homelessness due to COVID-19.

“Through no fault of their own, many Oregonian families are facing an abrupt loss of income and find themselves unable to pay their rent during this pandemic,” said Governor Kate Brown. “Through Oregon Housing and Community Services, we can deliver immediate rent relief so that more families can stay housed as we work to build a safe and strong Oregon.”

Many Oregonian are struggling to pay rent, and low-income Oregonians and communities of color are more likely to be rent burdened than their white counterparts. For these reasons, OHCS distributed thousands of dollars in funds to local community action agencies all over the state, and Oregonians are encouraged to apply. 

Below is a list of community action agencies that serve each county:

ACCESS – Jackson County 

Community Action Washington County (CAO) – Washington County 

Community Action Program Of East Central Oregon (CAPECO) – Gilliam, Morrow, Umatilla & Wheeler Counties
Access application through their website.  

Community Action Team (CAT) – North Coast
503-397-3511 – Columbia County 
503-325-1400 – Clatsop County 
503-842-5261 – Tillamook County 

Community Action of NE Oregon (CCNO) – Northeastern Oregon
541-523-6591 – Baker County 
541-575-2949 – Grant County
541-963-7532 – Union County 
541-426-3840 – Wallowa County 

Clackamas County Social Services (CCSS) – Clackamas County 

Community Services Consortium (CSC) – Linn, Benton, & Lincoln Counties
541-704-7646 or 541-704-7642 – Linn County
541-704-7625 – Benton County
541-574-2280 – Lincoln County

Community in Action (CinA ) – Malheur and Harney Counties

Klamath and Lake Community Action Services (KLCAS) – Klamath and Lake Counties

Lane County Human Services – Lane County
Access rental assistance application Lane County website.

Mid-Columbia Community Action Council (MCCAC) – Columbia Gorge
541-298-5131 – Wasco & Sherman Counties
541-386-4027 – Hood River County

Multnomah County
CALL: 211 or 1-866-698-6155 (Language interpreters available by phone)
TTY: dial 711 and call 1-866-698-6155
TEXT: your zip code to 898211 (TXT211) (text and email in English and Spanish)
WEB: search for resources on our online database- 

Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action (MWVCAA) – Marion & Polk Counties
503-399-9080 x 4003 

NeighborImpact (NI) – Crook, Deschutes, Jefferson Counties and the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs
541-548-2380 x 210 or go to the website 

Oregon Coast Community Action (ORCCA) – Coos and Curry Counties 
541-435-7080 x 370 

United Community Action Network (UCAN) – Southern Oregon
541-672-5392 – Douglas County 
541-956-4050 – Josephine County 

Yamhill Community Action Partnership (YCAP) – Yamhill County 

Oregon Human Development Corporation (OHDC) – Statewide services for migrant farmworkers 

To apply for rent relief, contact your local community action agency. Be sure to have your loss of income documented and ready to share. Please note that rental assistance payments will be directly made to landlords on behalf of tenants.

“The last two months have been trying for many in our communities,” said Director Margaret Salazar, “Oregonians were already struggling to find a safe, stable and affordable place to call home. As families grapple with lost wages, the need is even greater. I am so grateful to get this assistance in the hands of our friends and neighbors in need, including farmworkers and their families who are facing unique housing challenges.”

The $8.5 million was allocated by the Oregon Legislature through the Joint Emergency Board. OHCS anticipates additional resources from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act will be made available in the weeks ahead.

About Author

Sam West is the speechwriter and executive assistant to Oregon Governor Kate Brown.

Comments are closed.